Department of Veterinary & Animal Husbandry Extension Education
Department of Veterinary & Animal Husbandry Extension Education was created in the year 1962 to flood livestock owners with information and innovative knowledge by adopting improved technologies that may enhance their skills, increase their productivity, provide more employment opportunities and to make them economically
sound. The department provides under-graduate and post-graduate teaching to the students to train them with extension methodologies for better diffusion of innovative researches among livestock owners. The department in addition to teaching also performs field extension activities to orient livestock holders with first-hand information of innovative livestock technologies.
Major activities of the department:
- Under-graduate teaching in Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension according to the mandate and prescribed curriculum of the VCI.
- To impart postgraduate teaching and advanced training programme in Veterinary & Animal Husbandry Extension.
- Conduct research in the areas of extension, communication, training & teaching methods, extension management, marketing and entrepreneur sectors to promote livestock development.
- To disseminate the applied research of University among livestock owners/ farmers in order to increase the production potential of their animals.
- To get feedback from the farmers/ livestock owners/State Governments regarding various practices for future research and investigation.
- To establish liason between state/central governments and the University by organizing training programmes for the state officers.
Under Graduate Courses (B.V.Sc & A.H.) :
- Principles and Techniques of Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension (VAE-311)
- Livestock Economics, Marketing and Business management (VAE-321)
- Livestock Entrepreneurship (VAE-511)
Post-Graduate Courses (M.V.Sc.) :
- Fundamentals of Veterinary and Animal Husbandry Extension (AHE-601)
- Communication for Livestock Development (AHE-602)
- Diffusion and Adoption of Animal Husbandry Practices (AHE-603)
- Extension Techniques and Audio Visual Aids (AHE-604)
- Animal Husbandry Programme Planning & Evaluation (AHE-605)
- Research Methodology in Veterinary and A.H. Extension (AHE-606)
- Social Psychology and Group Dynamics (AHE-607)
- Animal Husbandry Development Programme (AHE-608)
- Development on the Concept of Extension (AHE-609)
- Human Resource Management in Animal Husbandry Sector (AHE-610)
- Gender And Livestock Development (AHE-611)
- Information and Communication Technology in Livestock Development (AHE-612)
- Credit Seminar (AHE-691)
- Masters Research (AHE-699)
Diploma in Livestock Extension:
Extension activities including survey, data collection and analysis (DLE-221)
Technology laboratory with modern Equipment facilities:
- Projection screens (fixed & portable)
- Overhead projector
- Slide projectors
- Multimedia projector
- Still and Video Camera
- Interactive board
- Display boards (assorted models, with accessories)
- Panel boards
- Television (coloured)
- Literature (Leaflet and folder)
- Exhibition unit to exhibits scientific knowledge on animal husbandry
- Group discussion chambers/mini seminar room
- Farmers friendly extension literature covering different aspect of livestock
- Transfer of technologies on animal husbandry practices are displayed and disseminated to farmer by this department.
- To conduct On and Off campus training programme on scientific animal husbandry practices for the farmers.
- To organizes Need Based Training Programme to meet the requirements of livestock owners and funding agencies
- Department actively participated in various Kisan Melas organized at university campus, Deen Dayal Dham Farah, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly and other locations by establishing stall and
- Organization of Refresher Training Programmes for Veterinary Officers, Livestock Extension Officers of the State Animal Husbandry Department and Army Personnel’s.
- Exposure Visit cum educational tours for farmers from different states under various schemes.
- Display boards on covering major topic related to livestock production and management was designed and printed for the exhibition hall of the department.
The department is associated with different projects for capacity building of the livestock farmers by disseminating door step information and service for their upliftment. The faculty and students of the department were contributing in the research through projects, seminar, and conference and through publications.
- The department is actively participating in Kisan Melas organized at different places and received significant attention from different stakeholders.
- The department has received appreciation awards for participating in various events.
- Along with this department has established a good liasioning with other department of veterinary & animal husbandry extension of different institutions.
- Exposure visits of visitor including farmers, farm women and other stakeholders were conducted demonstrating the university activity.
- Student exposure visits cum animal management awareness camps were organized by department in Mathura, District of Uttar Pradesh.