Uttar Pradesh Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Pashu Chikitsa Vigyan Vishwavidyalaya Evam Go-Anusandhan Sansthan ( DUVASU), Mathura was established by Government of Uttar Pradesh through an Act No. 27 of 2001 on October 25, 2001, by carving out all the units of veterinary sciences and animal husbandry from C.S. Azad University of Agriculture & Technology, Kanpur. Thus, College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Mathura became the main constituent college of DUVASU. The parent institution of this University had the distinction of being the first Veterinary College set up in independent India in 1947. It was the first Veterinary College in Asia to start with degree programme in Veterinary Science and to start post – graduate degree programmes in various disciplines of Veterinary and Animal Sciences in 1951, and the Ph.D. degree programme was started in 1953.
The DUVASU has been named after a great visionary and statesman – Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay, whose native place is in close proximity with Mathura and who propounded the philosophy of “Integrated Humanism”. He emphasized that the modern advances in science and technology should be oriented to uplift the economy of rural India and farming community. He was a connoisseur of traditional wisdom of Indian thinkers and a great supporter of natural resource management in crop and animal husbandry.
The mandate of the University is to (a) impart quality education in Veterinary and allied sciences (b) undertake need-based and basic research and (c) provide extension services to disseminate the technological knowhow to grass rot level for the benefit farmers and livestock owners.
The credit for bringing the University on national level goes to visionary and leadership of the first Officer on Special Duty (OSD), Prof. S. N. Maurya (2001-2002), and his successor Prof. D.P.Singh (2002-2003) and all the Vice Chancellors. Prof. S. K. Garg (2003- 2006) was the founder Vice Chancellor of the University, and he was succeeded by Prof. M. L. Madan (2006-2009), Prof. A. P.Singh (2010-2013), Prof. A.C.Varshney (2013-16). Prof. K.M.L.Pathak is the present Vice-Chancellor since 3rd March 2016.
The University, spread over an area of 782.34 acres, is located in Mathura Cant. and is about 5 km from Mathura Railway Junction and 3 km from Roadways bus stand. The main campus appears impressive with the buildings of College of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry, College of Biotechnology, College of Fisheries, College of Livestock Products Technology, College of Animal Industry & Business Management, Institute of Para – Veterinary Sciences, Krishi Vigyan Kendra, University Library, Kisan Bhawan, Referral Super-speciality Veterinary Hospital (Kothari Hospital), human dispensary, three guest houses, eight students hostels, gymnasium, residential colonies, street lighting, water supply, mini- market, primary school, bank, bank ATMs, post office, herbal garden and well tended fields. In addition, the University has Instructional Livestock Farm Complex (ILFC) with more than 500 indigenous cows and buffaloes, poultry farm with more than 3000 birds, Go – Anusandhan Sansthan, horse stable with riding field, sheep unit and agriculture farm. The other agriculture farm, of approximately 1400 acres, is located at Madhuri Kund on Goverdhan road which is about 30 km from the main campus.
Being located in “Braj-the abode of Lord Krishna”, is an area where indigenous cattle, symbolized by the cow, are held in high esteem and the University is unique in having special responsibilities towards promoting cow husbandry through research and technological interventions.
During a span of almost 14 years, University has progressed a lot and has registered its dignified presence not only amongst the other Agricultural and Veterinary Universities and has got the ranking at 62nd place among the top 100 academic institutions in the country, second amongst the veterinary universities and second amongst the state universities of Uttar Pradesh, by MHRD, Government of India. University ranking at national level is a testimony to the quality education, faculty, students, infrastructure, macro and micro – environment of the Campus.
Placement of the University alumni is a bench mark of the successful performance of any university. The DUVASU has manifested its superiority by way of 100 per cent placement of its alumni in the State animal husbandry departments, banks, private sectors, R&D, academic and research institutes, administrative services, remount veterinary services and paramilitary forces like BSF, ITBP etc. The DUVASU has come a long way in attaining the objectives and is poised to touch the newer heights of performance and milestones of achievements. During the last almost one decade, students of college of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry have been doing exceeding well in All India Joint Entrance Examination for Junior Research Fellowship, which is conducted by Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi in terms of percentage of students qualifying and their ranking at national level
The DUVASU has strived hard to attain the objectives for which it was established and is poised to touch new heights of performance and create further milestones of achievements.